After buying your metal detector, the next thing on your list should be to get accessories to help in your search. It is important to get specialized equipment, especially for digging, since it affects your outcome. This means your gardening shovels or trowel will not give you the expected results. There are specific shovels that are made especially for metal detecting.
There are many types of shovels made for different purposes, soil type, and depth of your find. These should help you dig up your treasures more easily, unlike if you used regular gardening tools. Most of your discoveries may be located deep into the earth, and if this is the case, it won’t be easy to keep digging with the average tool. This guide will help you find the best shovel for metal detecting and some pointers on searching.
Best Metal Detecting Shovels
There are many options for a shovel to use when metal detecting, so it is easy to get confused. You must know what features are most important when out in the fields. In many cases, you may need more than one shovel. The following are some of the top options that you should consider when buying.
TAC9ER Collapsible E-Tool Shovel 23-inch
One of the most important things to check when buying accessories is storage space. You may need to carry several different tools for metal detecting, which can be quite a heavy load. Also, some things may not fit in your bag, which is why foldable tools are great. This is one of the best shovels you can buy since it is easy to fold up to half its size.
It is well made, so it is easy to use when you have detected something. The lock system ensures that it won’t fold when using it. The blade is long enough at about nine inches to dig easily in the ground without using too much effort. It is made using carbon steel, making it strong enough to use in loose sand and hardened dirt. It is also quite affordable, considering it makes your job easier.
- It has a strong handle that makes digging easier.
- The lock mechanism ensures that you can dig without any issue.
- It has a strong blade that works efficiently.
- It is not as durable as a non-foldable blade.
- COMPACT AND PORTABLE - The tri-fold design on this entrenching tool makes it less bulky than other shovels on the market. It measures 9.5” when folded, making it the perfect size for a hiking shovel, camp shovel, and the ideal survival shovel.
- HEAVY-DUTY AND SAFE - This collapsible shovel is forged from carbon steel and built to withstand heavy-duty entrenching and digging jobs. The threaded lock system ensures the blade stays put, keeping you safe and protected.
- DURABLE HARD CASE - A hard carrying case holds the foldable shovel, providing protection and makes for a great addition to your survival gear and equipment. It can be attached to a backpack or belt - perfect for the campground, glove box, garden, shop, or on the trail!
- MULTI-USE - Use it as a pick, a saw, or hoe, the choice is yours! The serrated edge adds to functionality, easily cutting through packed dirt, hard ice, tough roots, plants, and more. Keep it as an emergency tool for your car or use it for your outdoor adventures with ease.
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE - TAC9ER is a US-based company and we stand behind our products. We offer free returns within 30 days and a 5 year no questions asked warranty. If you break it, we replace it.
Lesche Sampson Pro-Series Shovel with T-Handle
Lesche is one of the best brands for making tools, mainly shovels for metal detecting. It is suitable for use on hard ground thanks to its strong blade and 31-inch handle that ensures you can apply just enough pressure on the earth without straining yourself.
It is made from heat-treated steel, which allows it to dig deep into the soil without bending or breaking. The newer models are specially made for drilling into the hard ground thanks to the serrated edge that can cut through roots, grass, and weed. Some have both sides serrated, while others have one. According to experts, it is better to have one side different since it ensures that the blade is more robust and less likely to bend.
This shovel comes with either a t-handle or a ball one. What you pick depends on what you are used to and how much support you need when digging. The t-handle gives a better grip, so it is a more popular option.
- It is lightweight and easy to carry.
- You get to choose whether you want the serrated type.
- It has a strong aircraft standard metal.
- The serrated edge makes it easier to bend.
- Length: 31"overall
- Blade dimensions: 7 1/2" long x 4" wide
- Blade style: pre-sharpened edge for cutting
- Each blade is crafted from aircraft quality steel
FiveJoy Military Folding Shovel
There is nothing wrong with wanting a good old shovel without too many features for simple digging into solid earth. This portable shovel from FiveJoy is one of the best that fits this traditional description. It is made using carbon steel, which makes it very useful for digging and guarantees your longevity.
It has two edges that come in handy when you want to lift solid earth without making a substantial unsightly hole. The thin tip ensures that you don’t make a hole that is bigger than you need. It is suitable for use both on a field with sod or even at the beach. It is also pretty lightweight, which makes it perfect for carrying around without making your load heavier.
- Double edges make clean cuts into the ground.
- It is the best for use on compact soil.
- It has a concave design that makes it easier to lift.
- It doesn’t have any serrated edge.
- 🔔 ALL-IN-ONE SURVIVAL TOOL - Heavy Duty Shovel, Sharp Axe Blade, Serrated Saw Edge, Hammer, Paracord...Check! We’ve got all the must-haves for surviving in the outdoors covered. Conveniently dig trenches with this versatile multifunctional tool with a hidden rescue knife and saw, emergency whistle, fire starter (magnesium rod), bottle opener, and more!
- ⛺ COMPACT, PORTABLE MULTI TOOL - Lightweight (only 1.2lbs), and amazingly compact, this is an essential gadget to add to your outdoor first aid survival kit/ gear. Easily fit this foldable entrenching tool in your backpack or the trunk of your vehicle. Dig your car tires out of snow, mud, or ice, or use the shovel head as a glass breaker in an emergency. Attach the included carrying case to your belt for convenient access while on the trail or hunt.
- 🔥 VIRTUALLY INDESTRUCTIBLE - Forged from heat-treated High-Quality SOLID Carbon Steel (Blade and Knife) and Aerospace Grade Aluminum (Knife), for maximum strength and lifetime durability. Rust, water, and fracture resistant. Go ahead- PUT IT TO THE TEST!
- 🔒 UNIQUE LOCK ADJUSTMENT- Unlike other shovels, you can adjust the shovel angle with its special screw locking device, making it simple to alternate functions and positions. Spade can be used 30°, 85° or 180° angle as hook, hoe or shovel.
- ✔️ ERGONOMIC DESIGN - Thoughtfully engineered handle optimizes comfort and control for all glove types to minimize hand fatigue. Slip-proof foam cushion on the aluminum handle is water-resistant, quick to dry, and perfect for recreational gardening or on your backcountry hike or cross country trips. Always be prepared with this tactical folding tool!
Whites Ground Hawg Shovel
If you don’t mind spending a little more on a great quality shovel, this is one of your best options. It is made for use on rugged areas, and it won’t let you down since it is made for heavy lifting. It has two serrated edges that make it excellent when using on soil with many weeds and grass.
Unlike other metals that tend to bend at the serrated edges, this will handle anything without issues. The blade is made from hardened steel that makes it suitable for many uses when metal detecting.
It also has a long handle that makes it easier for taller people to use it. Due to the sharp and long blade, you can dig up to seven inches in one motion. This makes it easier to reach targets that are not too deep into the ground without causing too much damage.
- The handle is strong and sturdy.
- It is lightweight at only 2.8 pounds.
- It is easy to scoop without digging around.
- The handle is straight, which may be challenging for some people to use.
Radius Garden 22311 Root Slayer
It is one of the most robust shovels that you can buy, and it is guaranteed to last you a long time without needing a replacement. If you are looking for the one shovel that you can always rely on, this is the one for you.
It has a sharp inverted tip that is great for cutting through solid ground, especially roots. The blade is made from carbon steel, making it incredibly competent and adequate to use in whichever situation. It makes clean cuts so you can easily replace the soil so as not to leave unsightly holes.
The handle may take some time to get used to, but it is one of the most effective ones once you get used to it. It ensures that you don’t use up too much effort when digging; one swift move and you will have a deep enough hole to find your treasure.
- The tip is very sharp and makes your job of digging much more straightforward.
- It has a strong blade that can go through strong roots.
- The new design makes it lighter.
- It has a narrow blade hence not the best for large finds.
- Serrated trowel with an inverted V-shaped cutting tip with specially designed serrated teeth to easily rip through dirt, roots, and other obstructions with ease
- Small gardening shovel at 70% the size of the original Root Slayer that is ideal for small spaces, raised beds, and campgrounds
- Small digging shovel with a blade made of powder-coated carbon steel, shaft made of resin-encased carbon steel, and non-latex grips
- Weed buster that can be used to uproot Baby's Breath, Spotted Knapweed, Ash seedlings, Dandelions, and other tough weeds
- Regularly clean your Nomad shovel to maintain the quality and performance of the blade; Lifetime manufacturer guarantee in the continental US only
What are the different ways of digging?
There are several ways you can dig whenever you detect some treasure underground. How you do this mostly depends on how deep the find is and the type of shovel you have. It also relies on the kind of soil, which is how loose or hard it is.
You must match the method of digging into how deep you need to explore, so a pinpointer is another essential accessory that you should have. The following are some of the ways you would use for digging.
If you need to make a wide hole and you are digging through hard soil, then you should use the V-shape method. It is excellent to use when your find isn’t too deep since it makes refilling the hole relatively easy.
This is another excellent way to do a quick check-in the soil for your find without destroying the grass around the area. You can achieve it by digging about four inches deep using a serrated shovel. The idea is to explore around three sides of a square, then lift the whole patch just like a flap and replace when done checking.
In this method, you aim to dig deep enough into the earth to bring up your find to the surface. It is best to use when the ground is quite challenging and you want to do a quick check and move on. It can be done with one swift digging, so it is excellent when you are in a rush.
This method is best when you suspect that you have a massive find, and you don’t want to dig a huge hole to reach it. It is best used in areas where there is grass, and you don’t want to make an unsightly hole. It makes it easy to dig up the soil and replace it without much tampering.
Use this method when you believe that the find is quite large; hence the V-shape won’t work for this. It helps you make a wider hole, especially in areas with grass since once you’re done checking, you can always replace the soil and grass in place.
Why do you need a metal detecting shovel?
It would be best if you didn’t use a gardening shovel when metal detecting since it cannot guarantee you the results you expect. The following are some reasons why you should opt for specialized equipment.
If you are digging into hard earth, you need to have a shovel that is strong enough to dig without bending or twisting, as is the case in gardening shovels. This is mostly because these tools are usually made using soft metals that are easy to damage. However, the metal detecting options are made using hard metal such as stainless steel, so they don’t damage easily.
Many of the regular shovels that you find at the store are made to be used in garden soil, which isn’t hard. However, during metal detecting, you may end up in a field that hasn’t been dug up in a while. This means you need a tool that can withstand hardened soil and ensure you get the desired find.
Metal detecting shovels are made for continuously digging through hardened soil without any issues. They are more robust compared to the regular shovels that may become damaged after a few tries. Take time to read reviews of the different products available and perform after several digging escapades.
What should you look for when buying a metal detecting shovel?
There are a few points that you must look at when buying a metal detecting shovel. These will guide your purchase, which may be quite challenging to choose due to the many options. The following are the most critical points to note.
The shape and design of the handle make it easier for you to dig into the ground. This means that if it is not well placed and long enough, you may end up straining, which affects your digging. Take time to search for handles with even shapes such as ball or t-handle; these are more comfortable to use.
Size of blade
This is important, depending on the type of finds you are looking for. A large blade is more suitable for more enormous treasures, so a medium size blade is the best option you could get. This ensures that you can dig efficiently without leaving unnecessarily huge holes everywhere you search.
Many of the metal detector shovels available in the market have unique qualities that make them suitable for finding treasure. Features such as serrated edges and sharp points are the best when dealing with hard soil and more extensive finds.
The above shovels for metal detecting should give you an idea of what to get for your escapades. Remember that you should get specialized equipment instead of regular tools since those will break on you. Stay away from stainless steel shovels since they are not made for use on solid ground. They tend to twist and damage so you may end up getting about two good services out of it. This, in the long run, becomes expensive, so it is best to buy tools that are specially made for metal detecting.